Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Lake Erie Duathlon 8/5/2018

This race supports the Girl Scouts and they are all out there cheering, handing out water and draw the age group winner awards! The race is held at Presque Isle State Park, beach 10 in Erie Pa. The event consists of a 5k, 13 mile bike ride and another 5k.



This was my 3rd year doing this duathlon. The first year was great and I learned alot, the 2nd year I forgot my helmet out of transition, this year I wanted to fix all of my mistakes from the first 2 years and do well.


As we lined up to start I looked around and had seen a lot of the same faces from the first 2 years I had done the event. When we started I fell into the top 10 or 12 and ended up running there a lot of the first 5k. I quickly felt the lack of speed work and realized this was going to be a tough event, the only thing I didn't know was how many of the folks a head of me were part of teams, since they would not be considered for the over all. Just over half way I got real tired, not sure if it was the heat or what but the 5k became a lot of work.


I came into the transition, changed shoes put on my helmet and glasses and sipped on my Hammer Sustained Energy. As I crossed the line I jumped on my bike, put my head down and hammered the pedals as hard as I could. I was able to pass a few people but just after the turn around I was passed by someone who looked like they were barely working.... a mile or so later another passed, I looked down and I was going 22 MPH I tried to keep up but they were going way too fast, shortly after that a 3rd passed me. When he went by he made the comment "I just wanted to try and catch you, I am about used up" he did finish a head of me though.


I came into transition and swapped out shoes, went out for the last event. I got about 150 yards into the run and my hamstring knotted up.... it was very painful but I kept going until the turn a round. There I tried to massage and stretch it a bit. I was passed by 2 people at that point and just could not make up time and was barely running.


I did finish 9th over all and 2nd in my age group. I was happy with that!

Gear:
Hammer Tri kit
Topo Magnifly shoes
Swifwick socks
Specialized Roubiax
Suunto Ambit 2


Fuel:
Hammer Gel pre race
Hammer Endurance Amino pre race
Hammer Race Day Boost pre race
Hammer Sustained Energy during race
Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator after race
Hammer Recoverite after race












No comments:

Post a Comment