Sunday, July 15, 2018

Tri in the Buff

     This event is near Buffalo NY and has distances to chose from. I liked the Try a tri distance ( 200m swim, 8 mile bike and 1.8 mile run) since it was my first triathlon and first open water swim. I had somewhat of an idea what to expect from racing duathlons but the swim had me a bit concerned.

     As the swim started I started to struggle right off the bat. Swimming into waves and having others around you was a new and crazy experience. I came out of the water near last place but past a few folks on my way up to the transition area. As soon as I mounted the bike I just put my head down and mashed the pedals as fast as possible. the route merged with the other distances a few times which was fun and by the time i had finished up the bike I was pretty sure i had passed everyone in my class. As I got into transition for the run i heard them say my name and said I was the first one in. The run was tough! It was HOT, I was tired and legs felt like rubber bands. I just kept pushing forward to the turn around and glided back. I did see a few people from my class along the way but I was pretty sure that they would not catch me.

     I finished 1st over all with just under a 5 minute lead. This was a great experience for many reasons: 1st open water swim, making up time on the bike, all of the craziness of a huge event. etc. I cant wait until the Lake Erie Triathlon and to go back to Buffalo next year.






Gear:
Hammer Tri kit
Topo Magnifly shoes
Swifwick socks
Specialized Roubiax
Suunto Ambit 2


Fuel:
Hammer Gel pre race
Hammer Endurance Amino pre race
Hammer Race Day Boost pre race
Hammer Sustained Energy during race
Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator after race
Hammer Recoverite after race







No comments:

Post a Comment