Sunday, January 5, 2020

Stats review and New Years Day 5 miler

Lets start with a review of 2019
plan was to:
Run 1800 miles
Cycle 1000 miles
Swim 100,000 yards
Finish OC100k
Complete a half Ironman


What happened
Run 1781
Cycle 2502
Swim 133,520 yards
Strength Training 985 minutes
Jacob's Ladder 25,995 feet climbed
Finished OC100k
Completed a half Ironman

now 2020

I ran in the New Years Day 5 miler today. We had lots of ice, wind and cold. Managed a 13th overall and 1st in AG.

As I walked from my car to sign up I realized this was going to be difficult due to ice, cold and wind. I got checked in and went out to warm up, it was very slippery. As I warmed up I looked around and noticed a lot of the regulars but some new faces too. I had some extra drive this year... see I have run this race 7 times and have not placed only once... 2018. For some reason at the end of 2017 I had been in a funk and could not shake it and it lead to a slow start in 2018 thus I placed 4th in my age group and ran very slow. 2019 The weather was bad enough that I didnt want to race it so this was my comeback race and it was going to be miserable, but I find a level of comfort in suffering and misery..lol

With a couple minutes before the start we all started to gather at the start line. Alot more folks than I thought showed up for the race. I found a spot near the front and was getting my mind right... the RD was talking but I was focused on what I needed to do today. As he was wrapping up I set my watch and with a 3....2...1 we were off. Right off the bat as the race started a car backed out into the road , which was covered with ice, and caused some shuffling and slipping for everyone but thankfully no one went down. I had a target on a guy i have raced against many times and figured I would stay close to him for a bit and see what happens. As the pack started to seperate I found myself running alone about 50 yards from the guy I wanted to run with but I was closing on him. At mile 1 I was at 6:30 pace and was left leg already felt tired and heavy.

I had reeled the guy I was chasing in and passed him before mile 2 but the wind was right in our faces and it made a tough run much harder. As we turned in a turning lane to go back the opposite direction the turn around was full of snow, which sucked but at least the wind was now at our backs. By this point I had been caught by another runner and as I hit the 3 mile mark the guy i ran down and passed was on my hip for a about 100 yards then he broke away. As he pulled away I had thought to myself, I hope he slips a bit and loses some footing so he slows down.... He didnt! By the time I got to mile 4 I was at an average of 7:14 pace and they runner I had wanted to beat was within eye sight but a ways away. I got passed by one more runner before finishing.... a top 10 slipped away but I didnt know how far until results came out. I finished 13th over but won my age group with a time of 36:56. Over the years this was my 3rd worst time but I have never raced this race in conditions such as these. Now I will have to wait another year to crack the top 10.

Gear:
North Face gloves
Mizuno tights
Sugoi jacket
Voler Hammer Nutrition thermo shirt
SweatVac Hammer Nutrition hat
Topo Terraventure trail shoes with screws for traction
Darn Tough wool socks

Fuel:
Pre Race:
pre load of Hammer Race Day Boost
2 hours before race a Hammer Protein Bar
20 min before race a Hammer Gel

Post Race:
Hammer Recoverite
Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator










No comments:

Post a Comment