Wednesday, December 16, 2015

End of 2015 Update

     As 2015 comes to a close I just wanted to give an update on things.  2015 has really been an amazing year of training and racing, lots of highs and really only one low (Mohican). I have hit a PR in the 50k distance, ran for 100 miles and have cross trained more than at any point since I have been running. I have ran more miles and elevation than at any point as well (currently 2080 miles and near 200,000 feet of elevation gain). I have raced trails and roads, having tons of fun at both. I have been able to volunteer (though not near as much as I should have and will improve next year). I trained with my normal amazing crew and got to meet many new friends on the trail. I have bought a Jacobs Ladder for training when I cant get to the hills and have found it to be amazing. I have been to the highest point east of the Mississippi ( Mt. Mitchell). As I said I had an amazing year.


     2015 did have challenges. At Mohican 100 the top of my left foot started to hurt at mile 21 and got worse as the day went on but in the end the blisters from running in rain for HOURS broke me down to a DNF at mile 75. I also think I developed a light case of Achilles Tendonitis from that race too and had to really closely manage it till after OC100 in Oct. Finding time to train for 2 100's in a year was tough but managed through that as well.


     This "off season" has been great so far. I am still recovering from the tendonitis ( its much better) but training has been fun. I have been hitting the recumbent bike a couple times a week, I have been strength training, running only 18-30 miles a week, and my new favorite workout is a treadmill and Jacobs Ladder circuit where I start on the JL for 2 minutes then go to the treadmill at 8% incline for 2 minutes and back to JL. I do this for a total of 20 or 30 minutes after either a strength training session or after 45 minutes on the recumbent bike.


     Within the last few weeks I have received word from 4 sponsors for the 2016 season. These sponsors include Hammer Nutrition  (http://www.hammernutrition.com), Natures Bakery Fig Bars (https://naturesbakery.com/), Suunto (https://www.suunto.com/en-US/) and Jacobs Ladder (http://www.jacobsladderexercise.com/jacobs-ladder-cardio-machine/). I have one more application out that I have not heard an answer for yet so I hope to be able to update that soon.


     So onward to 2016! I have the following races planned
April -  Hyner 50k
May -  Glacier Ridge 50k or Cleveland Marathon
June -  Mohican 100
Sept -  either Stagecoach 100 or TNF 50
Oct -  OC100 100k
I am sure I will meet tons of new folks and have some amazing training with  the OC crew along the way! Hope you have a great year in 2016 and hope to see you on the trails! Please enjoy a couple of my favorite quotes......


"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.". - T. S. Eliot

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

 




No comments:

Post a Comment